[SATLUG] computer benchmark...

Brad Knowles brad at shub-internet.org
Wed Dec 19 11:37:43 CST 2007

On 12/19/07, Alex Bartonek wrote:

>                                                Yea I
>  know the new one is alot faster..but I just want to
>  know by how much.   Anyone recommend any benchmark
>  software out there?

Your standard applications + stopwatch + you

Seriously, the best benchmark you can create is to run your standard
application mix.

It doesn't help you if you have multiple cores on multiple CPUs and
each core is multi-threaded (e.g., Sun's Niagara or AMD's Barcelona),
if you do a lot of floating point and each CPU has only one FP unit.
Likewise, spending a lot of silicon on having multiple FP units for
each and every core on each and every CPU doesn't help you a lot, if
you don't use floating point very much.

Then there's the whole issue of whether or not you want a single
ultra-fast single-threaded CPU versus large numbers of slower cores.
The former will work better for you if your critical application(s)
is/are single-threaded only, while the latter will work well for you
if you're in a more multi-processing oriented environment.