[SATLUG] ttf-opensymbol/openoffice fail to update

Jonathan Hull masterr at gmail.com
Wed Dec 19 15:15:28 CST 2007

I also asked this on the Ubuntu forums, but I thought I would ask you
guys as well.

So I installed a dual boot system this morning on my mom's new
computer. Here are the steps I took.

1. Installed Windows
2. Installed Linux (Ubuntu 7.10. Used alt disc in text mode since I
couldn't get the live CD to work with her LCD)
3. Installed Nvidia driver with restricted driver manager and
rebooted. Changed desktop effects to highest.
4. Installed a few codecs with codec wizard.
5. Disabled cdrom and enabled multiverse and partners repos in apt.
6. Ran sudo apt-get update
7. Opened update manager and clicked on Check to be double sure it had
the new repos.
8. Clicked Install Updates

I let this sit a while and everything went fine except I got errors
about OpenOffice not updating. (I don't remember the exact errors).

So I dropped down to the command line and did a `sudo apt-get update`
and `sudo apt-get upgrade`. I get these errors

-----------------------

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
16 not fully installed or removed.
Need to get 0B of archives.
After unpacking 0B of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]? y
Setting up ttf-opensymbol (1:2.3.0-1ubuntu5.3) ...
Updating fontconfig cache...
/usr/share/fonts: failed to write cache
/usr/share/fonts/X11: failed to write cache
/usr/share/fonts/X11/100dpi: failed to write cache
/usr/share/fonts/X11/75dpi: failed to write cache
/usr/share/fonts/X11/Type1: failed to write cache
/usr/share/fonts/X11/encodings: failed to write cache
/usr/share/fonts/X11/encodings/large: failed to write cache
/usr/share/fonts/X11/misc: failed to write cache
/usr/share/fonts/X11/util: failed to write cache
/usr/share/fonts/truetype: failed to write cache
/usr/share/fonts/truetype/arphic: failed to write cache
/usr/share/fonts/truetype/freefont: failed to write cache
/usr/share/fonts/truetype/kochi: failed to write cache
/usr/share/fonts/truetype/thai: failed to write cache
/usr/share/fonts/truetype/ttf-arabeyes: failed to write cache
/usr/share/fonts/truetype/ttf-bitstream-vera: failed to write cache
/usr/share/fonts/truetype/ttf-dejavu: failed to write cache
/usr/share/fonts/truetype/ttf-gentium: failed to write cache
/usr/share/fonts/truetype/ttf-indic-fonts-core: failed to write cache
/usr/share/fonts/truetype/ttf-lao: failed to write cache
/usr/share/fonts/truetype/ttf-malayalam-fonts: failed to write cache
/usr/share/fonts/truetype/ttf-mgopen: failed to write cache
/usr/share/fonts/truetype/unfonts: failed to write cache
/usr/share/fonts/type1: failed to write cache
/usr/share/fonts/type1/gsfonts: failed to write cache
/usr/local/share/fonts: failed to write cache
/var/lib/defoma/fontconfig.d: failed to write cache
/var/lib/defoma/fontconfig.d/A: failed to write cache
/var/lib/defoma/fontconfig.d/B: failed to write cache
/var/lib/defoma/fontconfig.d/C: failed to write cache
/var/lib/defoma/fontconfig.d/D: failed to write cache
/var/lib/defoma/fontconfig.d/E: failed to write cache
/var/lib/defoma/fontconfig.d/F: failed to write cache
/var/lib/defoma/fontconfig.d/G: failed to write cache
/var/lib/defoma/fontconfig.d/H: failed to write cache
/var/lib/defoma/fontconfig.d/J: failed to write cache
/var/lib/defoma/fontconfig.d/K: failed to write cache
/var/lib/defoma/fontconfig.d/L: failed to write cache
/var/lib/defoma/fontconfig.d/M: failed to write cache
/var/lib/defoma/fontconfig.d/N: failed to write cache
/var/lib/defoma/fontconfig.d/O: failed to write cache
/var/lib/defoma/fontconfig.d/P: failed to write cache
/var/lib/defoma/fontconfig.d/R: failed to write cache
/var/lib/defoma/fontconfig.d/S: failed to write cache
/var/lib/defoma/fontconfig.d/T: failed to write cache
/var/lib/defoma/fontconfig.d/U: failed to write cache
/var/lib/defoma/fontconfig.d/V: failed to write cache
/var/lib/defoma/fontconfig.d/m: failed to write cache
/var/lib/defoma/fontconfig.d/u: failed to write cache
dpkg: error processing ttf-opensymbol (--configure):
 subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 49
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of openoffice.org-core:
 openoffice.org-core depends on ttf-opensymbol; however:
  Package ttf-opensymbol is not configured yet.
dpkg: error processing openoffice.org-core (--configure):
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of openoffice.org-common:
 openoffice.org-common depends on openoffice.org-core (>> 1:2.3.0); however:
  Package openoffice.org-core is not configured yet.
dpkg: error processing openoffice.org-common (--configure):
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of openoffice.org-style-human:
 openoffice.org-style-human depends on openoffice.org-common (=
1:2.3.0-1ubuntu5.3); however:
  Package openoffice.org-common is not configured yet.
dpkg: error processing openoffice.org-style-human (--configure):
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of python-uno:
 python-uno depends on openoffice.org-core (= 1:2.3.0-1ubuntu5.3); however:
  Package openoffice.org-core is not configured yet.
dpkg: error processing python-uno (--configure):
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of openoffice.org-writer:
 openoffice.org-writer depends on openoffice.org-core (=
1:2.3.0-1ubuntu5.3); however:
  Package openoffice.org-core is not configured yet.
 openoffice.org-writer depends on python-uno (>= 1:2.3.0); however:
  Package python-uno is not configured yet.
dpkg: error processing openoffice.org-writer (--configure):
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of openoffice.org-calc:
 openoffice.org-calc depends on openoffice.org-core (=
1:2.3.0-1ubuntu5.3); however:
  Package openoffice.org-core is not configured yet.
dpkg: error processing openoffice.org-calc (--configure):
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of openoffice.org-draw:
 openoffice.org-draw depends on openoffice.org-core (=
1:2.3.0-1ubuntu5.3); however:
  Package openoffice.org-core is not configured yet.
dpkg: error processing openoffice.org-draw (--configure):
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of openoffice.org-impress:
 openoffice.org-impress depends on openoffice.org-core (=
1:2.3.0-1ubuntu5.3); however:
  Package openoffice.org-core is not configured yet.
 openoffice.org-impress depends on openoffice.org-draw (=
1:2.3.0-1ubuntu5.3); however:
  Package openoffice.org-draw is not configured yet.
dpkg: error processing openoffice.org-impress (--configure):
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of openoffice.org-math:
 openoffice.org-math depends on openoffice.org-core (=
1:2.3.0-1ubuntu5.3); however:
  Package openoffice.org-core is not configured yet.
dpkg: error processing openoffice.org-math (--configure):
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of openoffice.org-java-common:
 openoffice.org-java-common depends on openoffice.org-common; however:
  Package openoffice.org-common is not configured yet.
dpkg: error processing openoffice.org-java-common (--configure):
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of openoffice.org-base:
 openoffice.org-base depends on openoffice.org-core (=
1:2.3.0-1ubuntu5.3); however:
  Package openoffice.org-core is not configured yet.
 openoffice.org-base depends on openoffice.org-java-common (>>
2.2.0-4); however:
  Package openoffice.org-java-common is not configured yet.
dpkg: error processing openoffice.org-base (--configure):
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of openoffice.org:
 openoffice.org depends on openoffice.org-core (= 1:2.3.0-1ubuntu5.3); however:
  Package openoffice.org-core is not configured yet.
 openoffice.org depends on openoffice.org-writer; however:
  Package openoffice.org-writer is not configured yet.
 openoffice.org depends on openoffice.org-calc; however:
  Package openoffice.org-calc is not configured yet.
 openoffice.org depends on openoffice.org-impress; however:
  Package openoffice.org-impress is not configured yet.
 openoffice.org depends on openoffice.org-draw; however:
  Package openoffice.org-draw is not configured yet.
 openoffice.org depends on openoffice.org-math; however:
  Package openoffice.org-math is not configured yet.
 openoffice.org depends on openoffice.org-base; however:
  Package openoffice.org-base is not configured yet.
 openoffice.org depends on openoffice.org-java-common (>> 2.2.0-4); however:
  Package openoffice.org-java-common is not configured yet.
dpkg: error processing openoffice.org (--configure):
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of openoffice.org-evolution:
 openoffice.org-evolution depends on openoffice.org-core (=
1:2.3.0-1ubuntu5.3); however:
  Package openoffice.org-core is not configured yet.
 openoffice.org-evolution depends on openoffice.org-base; however:
  Package openoffice.org-base is not configured yet.
dpkg: error processing openoffice.org-evolution (--configure):
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of openoffice.org-gtk:
 openoffice.org-gtk depends on openoffice.org-core (=
1:2.3.0-1ubuntu5.3); however:
  Package openoffice.org-core is not configured yet.
 openoffice.org-gtk depends on openoffice.org-style-human; however:
  Package openoffice.org-style-human is not configured yet.
dpkg: error processing openoffice.org-gtk (--configure):
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of openoffice.org-gnome:
 openoffice.org-gnome depends on openoffice.org-core (=
1:2.3.0-1ubuntu5.3); however:
  Package openoffice.org-core is not configured yet.
 openoffice.org-gnome depends on openoffice.org-gtk; however:
  Package openoffice.org-gtk is not configured yet.
dpkg: error processing openoffice.org-gnome (--configure):
 ttf-opensymbol
 openoffice.org-core
 openoffice.org-common
 openoffice.org-style-human
 python-uno
 openoffice.org-writer
 openoffice.org-calc
 openoffice.org-draw
 openoffice.org-impress
 openoffice.org-math
 openoffice.org-java-common
 openoffice.org-base
 openoffice.org
 openoffice.org-evolution
 openoffice.org-gtk
 openoffice.org-gnome

-----------------------------

I suspect this is all related to a problem with ttf-opensymbol, but I
am not sure. I tried doing a few things to fix this such as `sudo
apt-get install -f`and `sudo apt-get install --reinstall
ttf-opensymbol` after a clean/autoclean. Even doing these again after
a reboot to the updated packages (I think there was a kernel in there)
doesn't seem to help. Nothing seems to work and I am stumped. Googling
and forum searching gave me no good info.

Any ideas? Did I do something wrong or in the wrong order? Any help
would be appreciated.

Also, It probably doesn't matter but I installed the i386 version on a
AMD64X2 CPU since it's my mom's comp and she won't want to have to
deal with JAVA plugin problems and has no real reason to need the
64bit version.

Thanks
-Jon