[SATLUG] NFS Mounts

Daniel J. Givens daniel at rugmonster.org
Thu Dec 20 19:53:27 CST 2007

Evening all. I recently moved my automounts to ldap and in doing so
decided to use soft mounts instead of hard. Everything was fine for a
while, but I've recently been getting I/O errors when working on large
files through the NFS mounts. Realizing my error, I switched the mount
options back to hard and intr and things seem to be fine.

This led me to wonder what exactly the soft mount option is good for,
especially considering all of the documentation I found online suggested
it was only good for data corruption. Additionally, I'm curious as to
why I would be getting timeouts on a gigabit network utilizing jumbo
frames and mounts read and write size set to 32768. The server side is
an AMD Sempron 3200+ with 4 SATA drives in a RAID 5 configuration and
the client side is my quad core desktop. Ideas?

Thanks!
Daniel