[SATLUG] Remote VMware server console slow

Samuel Leon leon36 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 21 00:14:59 CST 2007

I have been using vmware server under linux for some time now.  I have
always loaded the virtual os's locally on the server.  Just today I
decided to try out the remote capabilities of it since after all it is
vmware "server".  I installed the vmware server client package on a
remote computer.  I can connect to the server and load an OS with it but
the OS will run horribly slow, both windows and linux guests.  The OS
with the vmware server client package is debian and the remote host is
ubuntu 7.10.  I am not sure if this is normal or what.  I am doing this
connection over the internet and have not tried on the local lan yet but
the bandwidth usage of all this does not seem to be more than my
internet connection can handle.  The resources usage on both the local
and remote computers are fine.  So is this not what the "vmware server
client" package is for or is this normal?  I saw a few other people on
google complaining of the same thing.

Thanks,
Sam