[SATLUG] USB 2.0 to Audio Adapter w/Microphone Jack

Matthew Hunter matthew at infodancer.org
Fri Dec 21 10:34:35 CST 2007

On Fri, Dec 21, 2007 at 07:23:28AM -0600, Walt DuBose <dubose at texas.net> wrote:
>  What would be an advantage of using a USB 2.0 to Audio Adapter
>  w/Microphone Jack instead of a computer's sound card?

Depends on what specific equipment you pick.  I've looked at USB
audio devices for the simple reason that I'm building a computer
that doesn't have onboard audio nor sufficient expansion slots to
add a sound card.  That's one reason... USB devices also have
the advantage of being located outside the computer's case and
are thus in a much cleaner environment for generating sound.  The
USB bus itself carries digital data, so the conversion is done by
the USB device itself.  You can get "audiophile" devices that
take advantage of this by putting high-end components into a
converter box.  Finally, the USB audio protocols are pretty
well standardized for basic functionality, so specific drivers
are less of a concern.

So, for some people there may be advantages; for most the sound
card is probably going to be more than sufficient.