[SATLUG] Need scripting assistance

Don Wright wmail at wricomp.com
Sat Dec 22 00:20:32 CST 2007

On Fri, 21 Dec 2007 22:56:11 -0600, Brian Lewis <astro at astr0.org> wrote:

>> How would I go about extracting every email address from the
>> spreadsheet into a text file, on their own line ie.
   <<snip>>
>> Before anyone else asks, this is not for spam.

Sure looks like spam. 8^) Think about it: You're sending exactly the same message to
thousands of recipients who didn't sign up for it through a double-confirmed list. You're
talking about a simple broadcast, not a bounce-managed mailing list package. I expect Brad
will shortly tell you the effective lifetime of your ISP account will be measured in
milliseconds -- and why even if it gets out, the inbound servers will detect and delete
this flood of excrement, even before the complaints hit every block list on the planet.

1) OK, so you'll start with a copy of this massive database that uses the wrong[1]
platform. Open the copy with OpenOffice on a system with massive amounts of RAM. You first
want to delete the un-needed columns - to shrink this puppy down a bit. Then export the
remaining firstname, lastname, email to Comma-Separated Values (CSV) so you have a
standard text file, thusly: "Joe","Smith","jsmith at foo.com"

2) Import that file into a proper mailing list manager[2] - which can then handle the
generation of the 100K personalized emails in an efficient manner - and handle the
undeliverables so you don't get overwhelmed with the flood coming back. Check with your
upstream provider on any limits to the traffic you're allowed, and set them into the MLM
so you don't get TOSsed.

3) Now start using the provided tools to manage your extremely-valuable, cleaned and
verified customer mailing list and send them stuff _they_ find useful frequently enough
that it becomes a relationship and not junk mail.

4) PROFIT!!!

Regards,  --Don

[1] Cue rant: Excel is not a DBMS.
[2] Definition: A proper MLM knows how to do all the stuff described. A small shell script
does not,