[SATLUG] more ubuntu Help Requested

Robert Pearson e2eiod at gmail.com
Sun Dec 23 14:03:27 CST 2007

On Dec 23, 2007 2:31 AM, Walt DuBose <dubose at texas.net> wrote:
> Ok now I know about apt (apt-get) and Synaptic(sp?) for Ubuntu...but Ubuntu
> doesn't come with lots of applications that I think need to be included for a
> user PC.
>
> You definately need to be able to burn CDs and DVDs.  What's a good app?  Also,
> my laptop has on on-board camera.  What applications can I use to take pictures
> and make video?
>
> Ubuntu found the wireless card but the applications that has control over it is
> very limited.  What's better.
>
> If anyone has any ideas about neat apps for Ubuntu, I'd like to hear about them.
>
> Walt

Being a noobie, there are a couple of neat features that I like about
the Synaptic Package Manager (SPM).
The first is the "Search" feature. I use it all the time looking for packages.
The second is the "History" feature. You can easily look and see what
has been installed and when.

I did a "Search" for "dvd" and got everything. The installed burner is
"dvd+rw-tools" on mine.
The "genisoimage" is also installed for working with ISO images.

K3b is my favorite but I used the default Gnome app, dvd+rw-tools, as
a test and it worked fine.
I used it through Nautilus. Find the file you want to burn, select it,
go to the "Go" choice at the top of the window and select "CD/DVD
Creator".
I'm pretty sure it was an ISO I burned. I can't remember the exact way
I did it. I only did one. I have repeat a thing 3x to have permanent
memory. Maybe it told me because I preselected the file?

The SPM saved my bacon many times when I first started using Ubuntu.