[SATLUG] bad hd?

herb cee hc at lookcee.com
Wed Dec 26 11:35:46 CST 2007

Alex Bartonek wrote:
> I didnt think it was the click of death but it sure
> did catch my attention.
>

> --- Ernest De Leon <edeleonjr at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> I have four of those, and they do click, but not
>> like the 'click of death.'
>> More like a subtle clicking when reading or writing.

Alex I am sure you are hearing the Step motor as it activates and locks
on the address track, the only other moving part is the disk and it is
spinning so fast a click would be near impossible.

Few years ago a friend worked in Compac's HD R&D lab and told me the
biggest problem they had was noisy step motors. He said that it did not
affect the performance but was an undesirable trait inherent in a
mechanism that reverses and moves virtually instantly.

Boggles the mind to think about a RW head being moved at the speed
required and still maintain the tiny space required above the surface of
a disk spinning so fast just the air currents involved must be an
engineering nightmare.

I know this does not help in your decision to return.
Good luck
herb