[SATLUG] A question for Mac users...

pixelnate pixelnate at gmail.com
Wed Dec 26 11:41:40 CST 2007

On Wed, 2007-12-26 at 08:32 -0800, Ernest De Leon wrote:
> Hey Everyone,
>
>     I just bought a new iMac for my significant other for Christmas.
> Naturally, I get to use it too. :)   I got the 24"  2.8 gHz model with
> Leopard.  I know that most PCs don't come with an office suite on them, and
> the Mac only came with trial versions of two.  I tried out TextEdit, and it
> suits me fine, but my girlfriend wants something more robust.  I downloaded
> open office for Mac, but it sucks compared to the Linux and PC variants.
> You can tell that it needs polish, etc.  Are there any open source office
> suites, or stand alone apps that accomplish the same, that you would
> recommend?  I absolutely will not buy office, and I may consider paying for
> iWork if there is not a suitable alternative.

If you have a Mac I would highly recommend paying the $$$ for the iWork
suite. Pages is a top notch app, and Keynote has no equal on any
platform. That said I have used OO for the last couple of years on my
Mac for making invoices and other office related documents. There is a
version that has been built with Aqua, but it was still in beta the last
time I looked for it a couple of months ago.

Have fun with your new Mac.

~Nate