[SATLUG] A question for Mac users...

Ernest De Leon edeleonjr at gmail.com
Wed Dec 26 11:49:53 CST 2007

I will definitely look into NeoOffice as it looks more refined and blended
with the Mac OSX environment.  I will also probably buy iWork.  It's only
$79.  $99 for a 5 user license.  Not bad at all in my book.  At least I know
that M$ doesn't get a penny.  I'm just not satisfied at all with open
office's effort on the platform.  It seems that it was just thrown
together.  At least Neo Office looks like they designed for the OSX
environment from the start.  We'll see.

The last Mac I had was back in the early 90s...I think it was OS version 7
or so.  It didn't even have a CD-ROM, just a floppy.  I remember using AOL
on it back when you paid by the minute.  Ahhh...the sweet nostalgic days of
computing.  Mac sure has come a long way since then.  I really do like the
iMac so far, but I don't think I would buy one for me.  I think a generic PC
laptop/desktop with Ubuntu suits me just fine for 99% of what I do.

Thanks for all of your suggestions.  If you have more, keep 'em coming.

Ernest

On Dec 26, 2007 9:41 AM, pixelnate <pixelnate at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 2007-12-26 at 08:32 -0800, Ernest De Leon wrote:
> > Hey Everyone,
> >
> >     I just bought a new iMac for my significant other for Christmas.
> > Naturally, I get to use it too. :)   I got the 24"  2.8 gHz model with
> > Leopard.  I know that most PCs don't come with an office suite on them,
> and
> > the Mac only came with trial versions of two.  I tried out TextEdit, and
> it
> > suits me fine, but my girlfriend wants something more robust.  I
> downloaded
> > open office for Mac, but it sucks compared to the Linux and PC variants.
> > You can tell that it needs polish, etc.  Are there any open source
> office
> > suites, or stand alone apps that accomplish the same, that you would
> > recommend?  I absolutely will not buy office, and I may consider paying
> for
> > iWork if there is not a suitable alternative.
>
> If you have a Mac I would highly recommend paying the $$$ for the iWork
> suite. Pages is a top notch app, and Keynote has no equal on any
> platform. That said I have used OO for the last couple of years on my
> Mac for making invoices and other office related documents. There is a
> version that has been built with Aqua, but it was still in beta the last
> time I looked for it a couple of months ago.
>
> Have fun with your new Mac.
>

> ~Nate

Join the Ron Paul Revolution
http://www.prezronpaul.com