[SATLUG] bad hd?

Brad Knowles brad at shub-internet.org
Wed Dec 26 14:28:12 CST 2007

On 12/26/07, Alex Bartonek wrote:

>  I bought a new Western Digital 500gig SATA hd
>  WD5000AAJS.  I sometimes hear a "clicking" type sound
>  but it passes its tests w/the WD Diag software.

There is frequently clicking when the drive is going through the
"load heads" procedure.  This involves moving the armature into
starting position from the safe landing zone, moving the heads down
towards the platter to the appropriate distance, and then maybe some
additional clicking as the heads settle and the drive finds the servo
tracks.  Once the servo tracks are located, then the heads have been
loaded and you can proceed with the other operations.

Clicking during normal operations is less common.

>  Usually if a HD would click you'd notice slowdowns
>  when reading/writing so I'm assuming this isnt the
>  click of death?  Should I send it back just in case or
>  are these things normally like this?

I'd do some careful research on your particular drive model to see if
it commonly suffers from the "click of death" phenomenon.  The
clicking you're hearing may be harmless, although perhaps annoying.