[SATLUG] A question for Mac users...

Ernest De Leon edeleonjr at gmail.com
Thu Dec 27 16:32:16 CST 2007

For some reason, I never thought about installing Linux on a new Mac, nor do
I think I would ever want to.  To me, since they are all on intel hardware
now, as mine is, its just like a PC.  The whole reason we got the Mac was to
use OSX Leopard.  It would be kind of sad to go pay more money for the same
hardware I can get from newegg at a fraction of the cost, and then strip off
the OS and put Linux on it.  That's just for the new intel Macs though.  I
would definitely want to try out Linux on a ppc Mac.  I don't have one, but
I'm sure it would be cool.

Ernest

On Dec 27, 2007 2:21 PM, Jeremy Mann <jeremymann at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Dec 27, 2007 4:15 PM, Ernest De Leon <edeleonjr at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Last I read he was using Fedora 7 on his main box.  Then again, he
> always
> > changes his distros out.  I primarily stick to Ubuntu, but I do install
> new
> > versions of other distros pretty regularly just to see what the rest of
> the
> > field looks like.
>
> Yeah, that's right. I seem to recall an interview I read asking this
> very question. We're probably not the norm. Home server has Slack 12,
> personal laptop has Ubuntu 7.10, at work I use Slackintosh 12 on my
> Mac, and the servers are a combination of CentOS and Slack.
>

> --
> Jeremy Mann
> jeremy at biochem.uthscsa.edu

> Bioinformatics Core Facility