[SATLUG] Monitor/Video issues?

Justin Burdette justin.burdette at gmail.com
Fri Dec 28 00:21:13 CST 2007

I'm running OpenSUSE 10.3 with an nVidia 5600XT graphics card. Had an older
15" LCD and decided to upgrade as a birthday gift to myself. Unfortunately,
the new monitor (a Sceptre X20 widescreen) seems to get very jittery at
random intervals and really doesn't like it when I watch any video files in
my browsers. I'm not 100% sure it's the monitor, but I've never had a
problem with the video card before, even at high resolutions on my old CRTs.

Is there something I can use to determine where the problem really lies? I
tried running glxgears and, while I got good framerate reports (1800+), it
caused the monitor to go jittery again. When it starts, everything else
jitters for a few minutes and it will finally stop, but I usually have to
minimize/maximize something, change websites, or switch to another X
session.

It doesn't just do it when I'm watching videos, but that seems to be the
main time when it happens. If it really is the video card, I guess I'll use
it as an excuse to upgrade everything. Does anyone have any experience with
the onboard nVidia video systems on some of the new AMD motherboards?

Thanks,

Justin