[SATLUG] locate not finding files

Ed Coates edcoates at gmail.com
Fri Dec 28 08:34:52 CST 2007

On Dec 27, 2007 11:10 PM, Chris Lemire <good_bye300 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Why does locate not find files in my other partition that other
> applications can find. I haven't tried Beagle yet.
Chris,

Check in /etc/updatedb.conf.  The /media directory is excluded by
default using the PRUNEPATHS list.  This is to save a lot of grief
with removable media.  Say you have a data dvd mounted, it's default
place is under /media.  If updatedb processes the whole dvd one night,
and the next day, you remove the dvd, all the information that was in
the update database is still there, even though the files are no
longer there.

Ed