[SATLUG] How to tell CentOS and RHEL apart

R P Herrold herrold at owlriver.com
Fri Dec 28 15:51:28 CST 2007

On Fri, 28 Dec 2007, Zeb Fletcher wrote:

> The Artwork has been changed on the GUI interface as well as the splash
> screen. Also I believe that some of the names of the RPM will have a
> different naming convention. You can also check yum repo directory to see if
> it is pointing to Centos.

scriptable is: is it running a centos kernel?

uname -r
ls /boot/ | grep `uname -r` | grep ^v
rpm -qf /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.18-53.1.4.el5xen
rpm -q --qf '%{vendor}\n' kernel-xen-2.6.18-53.1.4.el5

which will return:

CentOS

Some downstream forks of CentOS will not use critical CentOS
parts -- how to tell is enumerated at:

http://wiki.centos.org/TipsAndTricks/BrokenVserver

which I help maintain

-- Russ Herrold