[SATLUG] How to tell CentOS and RHEL apart

Tom Weeks tweeksjunk2 at theweeks.org
Fri Dec 28 23:14:47 CST 2007

On Friday 28 December 2007 11:05:00 Sean Carolan wrote:
> Besides looking at the /etc/redhat-release file, how can one find out
> whether a system is running CentOS or RHEL?

# rpm -qi kernel|head
Name        : kernel                       Relocations: (not relocatable)
Version     : 2.6.18                            Vendor: CentOS
Release     : 8.el5                         Build Date: Thu 15 Mar 2007
08:47:50 PM CDT
Install Date: Sat 15 Dec 2007 11:34:30 AM CST      Build Host:
builder4.centos.org
Group       : System Environment/Kernel     Source RPM:
kernel-2.6.18-8.el5.src.rpm
Size        : 35506867                         License: GPLv2
Signature   : DSA/SHA1, Tue 03 Apr 2007 07:24:09 PM CDT, Key ID
a8a447dce8562897
Summary     : The Linux kernel (the core of the Linux operating system)
Description :
The kernel package contains the Linux kernel (vmlinuz), the core of any

But then some RHEL people use CentOS kernels (because it works.. ;)..
so I guess the best way would be to do the same for glibc:

# rpm -qi glibc |head
Name        : glibc                        Relocations: (not relocatable)
Version     : 2.5                               Vendor: CentOS
Release     : 18.el5_1.1                    Build Date: Fri 30 Nov 2007
05:40:17 PM CST
Install Date: Sun 16 Dec 2007 04:36:51 AM CST      Build Host: builder6
Group       : System Environment/Libraries   Source RPM:
glibc-2.5-18.el5_1.1.src.rpm
Size        : 12524899                         License: LGPL
Signature   : DSA/SHA1, Sat 01 Dec 2007 05:28:36 PM CST, Key ID
a8a447dce8562897
Summary     : The GNU libc libraries.
Description :
The glibc package contains standard libraries which are used by

Tweeks