[SATLUG] Ubuntu x86 vs x86_64 Performance

adam at quo.com adam at quo.com
Fri Feb 2 01:55:24 CST 2007

I'm currently running Ubuntu x86_64 on this machine, and have been for
about a year now. In that time, I've noticed that it does seem slow
compared to some of the other systems I work on... Many of them have
inferior hardware, but are running some 32bit linux distro (mostly
Fedora or Debian). A lot of the comparative slowness I see is related to
graphics stuff (AIGLX / Beryl, Games), so I think you might be on to
something. Most 32bit installs just seem snappier, not to mention there
are still a few packages that aren't available in 64bit flavor yet...

As a note, since I've been running Ubuntu for so long, I've gone through
several upgrades. I believe my original install was Breezy, so I've
dist-upgraded from that to Dapper and then to Edgy. I seriously doubt
that helped my performance any... This system is getting really crufty. :(

       --Adam