[SATLUG] Newbe help Wanted for Help

Herb herbc at txcyber.com
Wed Feb 7 19:30:50 CST 2007

Hello all, I joined this list when I was waiting for a FC-6 disto. Got
it and I am thrilled. I tried 3 times in the past 10 yrs to learn how to
use Linux in the casual manner I have become accustomed to going from
DOS 6.2 to Win 3.1.... I am still using Win-ME as I learn to use
Fedora-Linux. I bought a new 82Gig HD used my older P-III 1.1mz, 256mem
for the box. I have already noodled around in the Gnone GUI.

I now have the network Hub running between the Lin-box and Win-box. I
have some sort of problem with the brand new Lucent 56K dialup PCI
modem. I am reading about the Win-Lin-modem issue so I will learn about
that. I have what i think is a non-Win-modem,-3-com/US Robo Modem, so I
may try it after i understand the issue. I went to the archives and am
reading back mail. it is helpful and I am glad to be here.

The bothersome and only other issue that I am aware of is when I try to
run help from where I am it reports error: ... "launching the default
command application associated with this location".  So I need to know
how to fix this in order to use Help specific to a problem I hope.

I am ok with command line but do not yet understand the structure used
in the Linux string. I do build my own boxes but do not consider myself
a tech, nor am i a programmer, I am a retired artist. I intend to desigh
art objects for the Virtual world (2L) and hope to use Gimp and Open
Office to replace Corel Office and PhotoShop.  I have already set up a
user account and transferred all my working document /graphic files over
to the Lin-box. I know how to open other terminal windows to switch to
root and back to user so I really on the way to 'happy camper'. In spite
of the baying of the blood hounds I believe I have made my escape from
Vista.

Thanks Herb