[SATLUG] Linux on the XV6700 pocketpc phone

Brad Knowles brad at shub-internet.org
Thu Feb 8 15:14:00 CST 2007

At 12:52 PM -0800 2/8/07, Alex Bartonek wrote:

>  Anyone ever read/tried to install Linux on one of
>  these?

I'm not finding much with Google on this combination.  One post I
found indicates that Damn Small Linux can be installed, but I'm not
finding anything on the DSL page which specifies what the hardware
requirements are, or even a supported hardware page, etc....

Most of the rest of the pages I've found with Google appear to be
talking about Linux and the XV6700 on the same page, but in the
context of using the phone as a modem for the computer, etc....

I know that one of the best supported portable Linux platforms right
now is the HP iPaq hx4700, in part because HP (neé Compaq) has been a
big outright supporter of Linux on their hardware.  It's easiest to
reflash and install internally on the device, but you can also
install it on a CompactFlash or SecureDigital card and then boot from
Windows Mobile via HaRET.

Of course, I'm a little biased since I actively support Linux
development on this platform, and I own three or four hx4700s, of
which one is in my hands for me to play with, and the others are in
the hands of various Linux kernel developers -- including two of the
most frequent contributors to the handhelds.org mailing lists and
website.

I found another page at
<http://wiki.xda-developers.com/index.php?pagename=HimalayaLinuxBooting>
that talks about using HaRET to boot Himalaya Linux on the XDA.  And
they do have an HTC Apache/XV6700 specific page at
<http://wiki.xda-developers.com/index.php?pagename=HTC_Apache>, which
you may be particularly interested in.

Co-author of SAGE Booklet #15 "Internet Postmaster: Duties and
Responsibilities"
Founding Member and Platinum Individual Sponsor of LOPSA:
<http://www.lopsa.org>
Papers: <http://tinyurl.com/tj6q4> LinkedIn Profile:
<http://tinyurl.com/y8kpxu>