[SATLUG] Lab management software

Daniel J. Givens daniel at rugmonster.org
Sun Feb 11 11:13:38 CST 2007

Mike Ester wrote:
> Like Sean, I install VNC on my lab computers. I use Psshutdown from
> PsTools (
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/utilities/pstools.mspx ) for
> remote reboot/shutdown, and I use VNCon ( http://vncon.chronetal.co.uk/
> move among them.
>
> Sure has made my life a lot easier. :)

This is way off topic for a Linux group, but Windows has a shutdown command
included, I believe after XP SP2, that will give you the ability to shutdown or
reboot remote systems.

I have a script that I use at work that reboots all of my servers (40+) after
I'm done installing patches and it uses the shutdown command. Open a console
(cmd.exe) and run shutdown /? to see the options. You will probably have to have
identical administrator level accounts on each of the machines if they are in a
workgroup or be on a domain.

Anyway, the benefit is that you don't have to install extra stuff on the systems.

VNCon is very cool. I'd never seen that before.

What is really missing is an opensource tool to install software on remote
systems. Yes, you can do limited software installation with Active Directory if
you have an MSI, and you can distribute Microsoft patches via WSUS...all very
cool, but I want something that will let me run a command on a remote system and
do an unattended install of an application or non-MS update. I've seen a few
programs, but I've never been able to get them to work. Yes, I want the
distribution capabilities of SMS for free. Why? SMS sucks, is overkill for most
people, and is expensive in licensing and hardware requirements.