[SATLUG] Linux pkg dependency... what is it actually

Daniel J. Givens daniel at rugmonster.org
Mon Feb 19 00:43:24 CST 2007

Brad Knowles wrote:
> Nothing I've ever seen beats "cd
> /usr/ports/group/port; make install", at least not for the massive wide
> variety of open source software for which *BSD ports have been
> developed.

This is largely dependent of the quality of the ports/packages available. I've
had far more problems with ports not compiling in OpenBSD than I have ever had
with packages in Debian. I can't speak for the other BSDs because I've only used
ports under OpenBSD. With that said, I've had lots of problems with SUSE and
Redhat/Fedora packages. That is why I say your experience is going to largely be
dependent on the quality of your software repository, be it ports style or a
binary package style.