[SATLUG] Help with Modem
herbc at txcyber.com
Mon Feb 26 11:10:43 CST 2007
Sean Carolan wrote:
>> Gee Greg, I just spent time looking and sifting on eBay bought a V-90
>> external hardware type for $9.56 inc ship so waiting for it to arrive.
>> Wish I had known.
> Herb, don't feel bad. You can use that external modem with any
> computer, and all you have to do is plug it into the serial port.
> Much easier than installing a PCI card, IMHO.
I have been trying to figure out what to do to install this External
Modem I bought.
I have installed it removing the internal Win-modem and hoped it would
install on bootup (FC-6). It did change the Gnome desk by adding a
dialer Icon (I think), however nothing happens when I click the icon so
something else has to be done.
I tried to run upgrade from the distro CD-1and it got all messed up so
since nothing was on the machine anyway I just did a complete reinstall.
I watched the bootup and only fail that I saw was the eth0 that was
working before but I did not have the Win box running so that may have
been the reason.
Ok here is my dilemma. most of the time when I find a command the
instructions does not tell me where I need to be when I need to call
for a terminal window to enter the command. I am perplexed and I have
read hundreds of pages but nothing is clear to me so I have wound up
I think that I have to use yum but without the ability to go on line for
the yum update I just am lost.
I have FC-6 Gnome running fine and I can navigate around but most of the
files I look at I have no idea what does what. I really think I can
learn. I just am failing to dig out clear directions on how to install a
driver when my total experience is with Windows control panel. Is there
a similar device for Gnome?
Here are the data spec sheet for the modem.
V1456VQE-R1 Specs Sheet
Dynalink VoiceDesk56 Pro Data/Fax/Voice external Serial Modem
Minimum system requirements:
All versions of Windows; DOS; Linux (full hardware modem)
* 286 Processor
* 4MB RAM
* 16650 UART / COM Port
* CD-ROM drive for driver and fax software installation
* Data/Fax/Voice/Speakerphone external modem.
* V.90 & K56flex dual mode with automatic fallback.
* Supports V.80 video ready modem.
* Supports distinctive ring and caller ID.
* EIA-232C serial interface.
* V.42 error correction (LAPM and MNP).
* V.42bis and MNP class 5 data compression.
* Operating system support: Windows 3.1 and above, DOS, Linux.
* TIA/EIA 578 Class 1 and Class 2 fax.
* 14400bps send and receive fax modem with automatic fallback.
* Group 3 send and receive facsimile.
* Extended AT command set.
* Voice mode allows a DTE to record and playback voice.
* Full-duplex speakerphone.
* Telephone answering machine functions.
* Power Supply 12 Volts AC 1 Amp.
Data Mode V.90, K56flex, V.34, V.32bis, V.32, V.22bis, V.23, V.22, Bell
212A, Bell 103.
V.17, V.29, V.27ter, V.21 Ch 2.
* Full duplex or half duplex in data mode.
* Half duplex in fax mode.
* Asynchronous operation.
* Auto dial/answer.
* Manual originate/answer.
Asynchronous Data Format
Dial Type: Tone dialing
Call Progress Monitors: Dial tone, Busy tone
* Enhanced ADPCM compression/decompression.
* Tone detection/generation and call discrimination.
* Concurrent DTMF detection.
Flow control: XOFF/XON or RTS/CTS
Error correction: MNP 2-4 and ITU V42
Data compression: MNP 5 and ITU V42bis
Telephone line interface: One RJ-11 jack
DTE interface: EIA-232C serial.
More information about the SATLUG