[SATLUG] OT(?sorta) Linksys WCG200 - DHCP wrong (or bad) address with routing and NAT turned on

ed horned0wl93 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 1 00:02:42 CDT 2008

Jennie Haywood wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 31, 2008 at 8:33 AM, ed <horned0wl93 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>  >
>>  > Thank you!  What's interesting is that the reported DHCP server for
>>  > that 66 network is at 192.168.5.4.
>>  >
>>  Likely correct, depending on the default factory spec internal IP
>>  address of your router.  192.168.xx.xx is the block of IANA-assigned
>>  addresses for a NATed Class C network -- what you would have inside your
>>

> Yep... It's a private network.
>

>>  router on your own network.  (What is your router's IP internal address?
>>  What is your ISP-assigned IP address?)  Your router would be responsible
>>  for assigning DHCP addresses within your network, and NATing them to
>>  your external IP address.
>>

> See that's what I find odd.   The factory default on the Linksys
> WCG200 for a router DHCP server is 192.168.0.1 (at least that's what
> mine resets to when I reset it to factory defaults).

Ok.  the WCG200 may have a different default gateway address than my
WTRG54S.  Private NAT addresses aren't exactly as constrained as
public/corporate NATing. If it defaults to xxx.xxx.0.1, ya might wanna
let it be, unless you'd care to establish your own network parameters.
> How I found the 192.168.5.4 address was by turning OFF the routing and
> NATing on my Linksys and letting *their* DHCP set the  info on a
> windoze box and looking at it with ipconfig /all.

Cute.  Then one of my earlier suggestions may apply: you might have had
a rogue server injected somewhere in your up-channel network.  Under the
best of conditions, some people's kids don't understand the need to
isolate their networks when experimenting with creating a server.  If it
was an intentional hack, however...
> This morning it was down again.  So I went thru the process of
> turning off the routing and NATing to let their (Grande's) DHCP setup
> the windoze box:
>
>         IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 66.90.163.202
>         Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.254.0
>         Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 66.90.163.254
>         DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.5.4

Obviously, we're NOT talking about YOUR router here...  The DHCP server
in you list is definitely rogue...
>         DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 66.90.132.162
>                                             66.90.130.10
>
> So I copied that to notepad and decided to see what would happen if  I
> put the routing and NATing back on and let the router pick up a DHCP
> address. It came up with a 24.155.114.XXX address.  Which *miracle of
> miracles*  worked!    So I guess they fixed whatever was whigging out
> with the DHCP.

Yeah, by switching over to one of Grande's alternate nets
(24.xx.xx.xx)...  See below.  Expect a switch-back sometime in the near
future, unless maybe they've undergone a net assignment change.
Unusual, but...

Grande Communications Networks, Inc. GRANDECOM-03 (NET-24-155-0-0-1)
                                                    24.155.0.0 -
24.155.255.255

Grande Communications SAN ANTONIO GRANDECOM-MARKET03
(NET-24-155-112-0-1)
                                        24.155.112.0 - 24.155.115.255

> Why couldn't the tech support guys just say there could be OR is a routing issue and we are looking into it???
> Why tell me that it's my hardware when I know full well it's NOT my hardware.

I dunno...  Arrogance, your gender, any number of pig-headed reasons.
According to most ISPs, its never their problem, even if the building's
burning down around them.  Go figure...

Cheers;
Ed