[SATLUG] Rotating the screen in Ubuntu and saving the setting...

Bamse mfredriksafstro at satx.rr.com
Tue Apr 1 10:30:54 CDT 2008

John Choate wrote:
> On Monday 31 March 2008 19:56:05 Bamse wrote:
>> Hi again,
>> I'm trying to rotate the screen (left) to get a portrait orientation
>> rather than landscape.
>> I figured out that by adding _Option "RandRRotation" "on"_ in the
>> /etc/X11/xorg.conf file, the option to rotate the screen is now
>> available in _System->Preferences->Screen Resolution_.
>> The screen rotates to portrait and the mouse follows etc...
>> However as soon as I log off, I loose this setting.
>> It would not have bothered me if the login screen were "rotated" so to
>> say and as soon as I logged in it got back to Portrait mode.
>> But when I log in again I have to go to the _System->Preferences->Screen
>> Resolution_ and rotate it to the left again.
>> Anyone know how to make this permanent ?
>> /Bamse
> If you know, or find out, the command to do this, please post it. I'd like to
> know for future reference.
> Perhaps the command can be added to ~/bash.profile ... then it will set it for
> you when you login.
> John C.
Got it to work in Ubuntu 7.10...

First in your /etc/X11/xorg.conf, make sure you use the "nvidia" driver
and then add,
    Option         "RandRRotation" "on"
Supposedly this does only work on the nvidia driver

So my setting is,
Section "Device"
    Identifier    "nVidia Corporation NV41.1 [GeForce 6800]"
    Boardname    "nv"
    Busid        "PCI:1:0:0"
    Driver        "nvidia"
    Option         "RandRRotation" "on"
    Screen    0

Then in your ~/.profile add the following,
# Rotate the screen to the left
xrandr -o left