[SATLUG] Rotating the screen in Ubuntu and saving the setting...

Mike Nerone mike at nerone.org
Tue Apr 1 14:16:57 CDT 2008

John Choate wrote:
> On Monday 31 March 2008 19:56:05 Bamse wrote:
>
>> Hi again,
>>
>> I'm trying to rotate the screen (left) to get a portrait orientation
>> rather than landscape.
>> I figured out that by adding _Option "RandRRotation" "on"_ in the
>> /etc/X11/xorg.conf file, the option to rotate the screen is now
>> available in _System->Preferences->Screen Resolution_.
>>
>> The screen rotates to portrait and the mouse follows etc...
>>
>> However as soon as I log off, I loose this setting.
>> It would not have bothered me if the login screen were "rotated" so to
>> say and as soon as I logged in it got back to Portrait mode.
>> But when I log in again I have to go to the _System->Preferences->Screen
>> Resolution_ and rotate it to the left again.
>>
>> Anyone know how to make this permanent ?
>>
>> /Bamse
>>

> If you know, or find out, the command to do this, please post it. I'd like to
> know for future reference.
> Perhaps the command can be added to ~/bash.profile ... then it will set it for
> you when you login.
>
> John C.

The problem with that is that it doesn't run until you log in. It sounds
like Bamse would like to leave his monitor in portrait orientation
permanently, so he would like the screen rotated for the display manager
login screen. This is totally possible through xorg.conf, but how to do
it is driver specific (and your driver may not support it at all). To
see how, you therefore have to look at the docs for the driver of your
video card. Bamse, I'm gonna guess that you're using the nvidia driver.
Here's an excerpt from nvidia's readme:

    Option "RandRRotation" "boolean"

        Enable rotation support for the XRandR extension. This allows
    use of the
        XRandR X server extension for configuring the screen orientation
    through
        rotation. This feature is supported on GeForce2 or better
    hardware using
        depth 24. This requires an X.Org X 6.8.1 or newer X server. This
    feature
        does not work with hardware overlays, and emulated overlays will
    be used
        instead at a substantial performance penalty. See Appendix U for
    details.
        Default: off.

    Option "Rotate" "string"

        Enable static rotation support. Unlike the RandRRotation option
    above,
        this option takes effect as soon as the X server is started and
    will work
        with older versions of X. This feature is supported on GeForce2
    or better
        hardware using depth 24. This feature does not work with hardware
        overlays, and emulated overlays will be used instead at a
    substantial
        performance penalty. This option is not compatible with the RandR
        extension. Valid rotations are "normal", "left", "inverted", and
    "right".
        Default: off.

So you probably want [Option "Rotate" "left"] or something similar.

Mike Nerone