[SATLUG] Best POP3 server?

Daniel J. Givens daniel at rugmonster.org
Tue Apr 1 17:12:05 CDT 2008

David Salisbury wrote:
> What POP3 server would people on the list recommend to replace gnu-pop3d?  I've been using gnu-pop3d forever, and it now seems that many services / clients require "UIDL" capability on the POP3 server level, and gnu-pop3d apparently doesn't support it.  I'm just wondering what any/everyone would recommend as a good, similarly-solid replacement?  Or is there a trusted place that has a UIDL-capable version?  This seems like it might be promising..
>
> http://www.jth.net/virtual.html
>
> Anyway, if anyone has any insight, that would be great!
> David

I suggest you look into Dovecot. I can't give really convincing,
technical reasons for liking Dovecot other than it being fairly
featureful, very flexible, and fairly easy to work with. As for keeping
the UIDLs in tact, take a look at the following link to see if there are
any applicable instructions:

http://wiki.dovecot.org/Migration

I would consider Dovecot ready for primetime. After all, it is now the
default POP3/IMAP server in RHEL5.

Cheers,
Daniel