[SATLUG] Best POP3 server?

Mike Nerone mike at nerone.org
Tue Apr 1 19:50:07 CDT 2008

If you're an admin type, I love Cyrus IMAP server (which fully supports
POP3, as well). The catch is that it doesn't use a standard mbox or
maildir storage format, so you can't use some old-school mail tools to
read it (such as the venerable mailx) - you *have* to access your mail
via IMAP or POP3. For my purposes, that's fine though, and Cyrus is
highly efficient and high-performance, and gives you other features such
as Sieve, which is a server-side filtering mechanism. It wouldn't work
out of the box with a standard MTA configuration, since standard
configurations almost always use mbox or maildir, so you do have to
configure your MTA a bit (it's not difficult - the MTA can deliver to
cyrus via standard LMTP, which is directly supported by all modern MTAs).

Mike