[SATLUG] Home network

Justin Burdette justin.burdette at gmail.com
Wed Apr 2 07:43:15 CDT 2008

I finally decided it was time to upgrade my home network. I'm adding in
wifi, and I'm also buying a couple of small form factor Dell units (P3) to
run as firewall, web server, DHCP, etc...

I'm trying to figure out what distro would be the best for these
applications. What I'd prefer is something that I can log into from my main
PC (using OpenSUSE 10.3, probably through rdesktop or something like it) as
these machines won't have a monitor/keyboard/mouse attached. I'd like to be
able to run a basic GUI...no need for GNOME or KDE, but will probably go
with Fluxbox.

My next question, which I shouldn't even have to ask, but I haven't done
mixed networks in so long that I've forgotten how. What I would like to do
is run all of my wired units with static IP addresses and have DHCP assign
addresses for wifi connections and wired machines that I'm working on for
customers. The Linksys I have doesn't seem to like static IPs when its DHCP
is enabled...it was set to assign in the 192.168.1.100-150 range and I
couldn't do anything with my static IP of 192.168.1.50. Is there an easy way
to set this up on a Linux DHCP server?

Last question...I presume the firewall box should do strictly that, no DHCP,
Apache, FTP server, etc...correct? A P3 system with enough RAM and swap
should be able to handle the other services, yes?

Thanks again...always great to have a group of people to bounce ideas around
with. Maybe next time I can make it to the meeting, too!

Justin