[SATLUG] Home network

Ernest De Leon edeleonjr at gmail.com
Wed Apr 2 10:37:03 CDT 2008

Did you already buy the P3 units?  If not, I would not buy one for a
firewall/DHCP, just one for the web server you're talking about.  The
linksys firmware is more than capable of handling 99% of firewall/DHCP
needs, and if you need something slightly beyond that, then just flash the
firmware with DDWRT/HYPRWRT and you'll get a lot more.  I say this from
personal experience.  After constantly battling heat in my apartment (when I
lived in San Antonio) due to 10+ machines running on a home-brew rack, I
went ahead and bought a nice linksys WRT-54GL and flashed it with DD-WRT.
To this day (several years later) it works like a charm.  As an aside, I
also ditched the mail and web servers and just use Gmail and a GoDaddy
hosting account, but that's totally my choice and not what you may be
wanting to do.  I found that paying 50 bucks for the router, $0 for email,
and about $72 per year for hosting is tons cheaper than running 10 boxes
(electricity and maintenance) not to mention that it is a better choice for
the environment.  This lets me sleep better at night knowing that I did
something to help our favorite birds in tuxedos keep their habitat.  The
linksys should work fine with mixed static and dynamic IPs.  I setup a
friend's network on the default linksys firmware with his printers and main
boxes in the .1.2-.1.10 range and doled out .1.11-.1.200 for anything that
connects otherwise (laptops, 360, PS3, Wii, etc.)  I don't know why it would
give you issue with the static IPs since it doesn't control that range, it
simply routes requests to the appropriate IPs.  If you want to run a web
server, I recommend using Ubuntu server with the basic LAMP build.  You can
elaborate on that if you need to later, but it's pretty robust and secure
out of the gate.  Just remember to test everything afterward and do a
property security assessment on the box (especially if you DMZ it vs.
forwarding port 80 to it.)  I've been pretty lucky with Ubuntu locking
everything down except for the necessary ports, but things can always