[SATLUG] Best POP3 server?

Brad Knowles brad at shub-internet.org
Wed Apr 2 13:18:14 CDT 2008

On 4/1/08, David Salisbury wrote:

>  What POP3 server would people on the list recommend to replace gnu-pop3d?
>  I've been using gnu-pop3d forever, and it now seems that many services /
>  clients require "UIDL" capability on the POP3 server level, and gnu-pop3d
>  apparently doesn't support it.  I'm just wondering what any/everyone would
>  recommend as a good, similarly-solid replacement?  Or is there a trusted
>  place that has a UIDL-capable version?  This seems like it might be
>  promising..

Back when POP3 was a live protocol, by far the best POP3
implementation was Qualcomm's QPopper.

These days, I'd probably install the combined IMAP/POP configuration
from UW (see <ftp://ftp.cac.washington.edu/imap/imap.tar.Z>), or
maybe dovecot (see <http://www.dovecot.org/>).  If you want something
with better performance that will act as a pure e-mail blackbox, then
Cyrus (see <http://cyrusimap.web.cmu.edu/imapd/>).  Cyrus is more
difficult to install, but does perform and scale a lot better.