[SATLUG] Home network

ed horned0wl93 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 2 22:00:33 CDT 2008

Justin Burdette wrote:
> I finally decided it was time to upgrade my home network. I'm adding in
> wifi, and I'm also buying a couple of small form factor Dell units (P3) to
> run as firewall, web server, DHCP, etc...
> I'm trying to figure out what distro would be the best for these
> applications. What I'd prefer is something that I can log into from my main
> PC (using OpenSUSE 10.3, probably through rdesktop or something like it) as
> these machines won't have a monitor/keyboard/mouse attached. I'd like to be
> able to run a basic GUI...no need for GNOME or KDE, but will probably go
> with Fluxbox.
Ubunbtu 6.10 LTS has a good server package on it.  Straight Debian has
another.  Its gonna come down to your comfort level though.
> My next question, which I shouldn't even have to ask, but I haven't done
> mixed networks in so long that I've forgotten how. What I would like to do
> is run all of my wired units with static IP addresses and have DHCP assign
> addresses for wifi connections and wired machines that I'm working on for
> customers. The Linksys I have doesn't seem to like static IPs when its DHCP
> is enabled...it was set to assign in the range and I
> couldn't do anything with my static IP of Is there an easy way
> to set this up on a Linux DHCP server?
Why not leave your server setup as DHCP, as is, and just assign static
IPs outside its bounds to your wired  units through their own configs?
If your DHCP assigns from .100 - .150, you have all the .1 - .99, and
.151 - .254 available on a net mask of How many units do
you plan to run, and how many more to accommodate?  What do you plan to
use as your routing/proxy server?