[SATLUG] ATI dualhead config

Jeremy Mann jeremymann at gmail.com
Sun Apr 6 18:08:38 CDT 2008

On Sun, Apr 6, 2008 at 6:27 PM, Borries Demeler
<demeler at biochem.uthscsa.edu> wrote:

>  I should mention that this is on a X1400 ATI Radeon Mobility, using the proprietary ATI fglrx driver.
>
>  Any suggestions on how to get it to clone the smaller screen within the larger screen, and not
>  the other way around?

You don't need to run Xinerama, the driver supports this natively,
plus you gain DRI and OpenGL performance on BOTH screens. I have an
ATI Radeon in the Mac at work. Although I can't use the fglrx driver
since its Intel only, the section of my xorg.conf has:

Section "Device"
        Identifier  "Card0"
        Driver      "radeon"
        VendorName  "ATI Technologies Inc"
        BoardName   "Radeon RV200 QW [Radeon 7500]"
        BusID       "PCI:0:16:0"
        Option  "AGPMode" "4"
        Option  "AGPFastWrite" "true"
        Option  "UseFBDev" "false"
        Option  "EnablePageFlip" "false"
        Option  "RenderAccel" "true"
        Option  "CRT2Position" "RightOf"
EndSection

Section "Device"
        Identifier      "Card1"
        Driver          "radeon"
        BusID           "PCI:0:16:0"
        Screen 1
EndSection

This gives me the performance advantage of NOT using Xinerama to
display the 2nd monitor. In your Monitor section you should give it
the VertRefresh and HorizSync for the 2nd monitor and the Screen
section should have the resolution settings.

--
Jeremy Mann
jeremy at biochem.uthscsa.edu

Bioinformatics Core Facility