[SATLUG] Home network

Tweeks tweeksjunk2 at theweeks.org
Sun Apr 6 23:50:10 CDT 2008

On Friday 04 April 2008 01:53:38 am Luis Garza wrote:
[...]
> If you are going to use the P3, you may want to check out Thom Weeks
> XCSSA SOHO presentation.

I agree Luis.. ;)

Really tho.. I haven't been on her in a week and was just about to post the
pointer(s)...

Here's the updated version of my SOHO firewall presentation:
	http://xcssa.org/files/XCSSA-SOHO-Firewall-DMZ-Web/img0.html

But also, as others have already echo'd, you probably shouldn't run many (if
any) "internal apps" at all on a "Real firewall" (for obvious security
reasons).  Instead, set up your app servers internally.. which follows into
Part-II of the presentation from that month, setting up an internal
LAMP+email server by Robert Taylor (aka "Robot Terror") here:
	http://xcssa.org/files/soho_lamp_mail.pdf

Great presentation that one (but better in person by Robert himself).

> I have setup a SOHO because I like the control and I have commercial
> electric rates.  Remember the P3 probably at least a 300 Watt power supply.
> 300W X 24Hrs X 30Days / 1000 = the number of KiloWatts used for the
> month.  Multiply that by the $/KW and you get an idea of how much it
> will cost you to run that server for one month.

Running systems like these 24x7 does bump up the old electric bill a bit.  I
would guess $30-40/month (in my guesstimate).  However that's also an
advantage of the underclocked "fan-less" high availability (no moving parts)
strategy that I outline in my piece (the first link).  I supposed the same
could be done on the web/MTA server too.. but doing so you would really want
to strip out all the un-needed stuff on the server like the X11/GUI, etc..
and probably admin it headless via a web-admin app such as webmin
(http://webmin.com/).

> It may be considerably cheaper to host your site some place.
> If you want to filter your traffic to your site, like with IPTABLES, the
> you can rent a cheap virtual server.

I dunnknow.. Hosting at home can be done pretty well.  Especially if you want
to set up and run on services like dyndns, etc...  Keeping in mind... you're
responsible for the whole shootin' match if something goes wrong (err..
when).. and some ISPs might decide to just suddenly decide to shut you down
if they see traffic they don't care for (or the up and change their policies,
etc).   But in the immortal words of Elwood Blues:
	"What'cha want for nuttin'.. a rrrrrrrrrrrubbbba biscuit ?!" *

Tweeks

* http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYyBZE0kBtE
:)
That brings back some fun memories.. :)