[SATLUG] missing plugin

Mike Nerone mike at nerone.org
Wed Apr 9 02:20:57 CDT 2008

ed wrote:
> Borries Demeler wrote:
>
>>> On Gentoo, the plugin is enabled just by turning on the "nsplugin" USE
>>> flag for the build. You can see if your package includes it by checking
>>> if it has files named "libvlcplugin.*" (they should be in your browser
>>> plugin directory, usually /usr/lib/nsbrowser/plugins. E.g. on Gentoo:
>>>
>>>     $ qlist vlc | grep libvlcplugin
>>>     /usr/lib/nsbrowser/plugins/libvlcplugin.la
>>>     /usr/lib/nsbrowser/plugins/libvlcplugin.so
>>>

>>> If you don't see similar files, then the vlc plugin is not present.
>>>

>> I don't have 'qlist' on my box, but here is what I can do:
>>

>> vlc-config --list builtin
>>   memcpymmx i420_rgb_mmx i422_yuy2_mmx i420_ymga_mmx i420_yuy2_mmx memcpymmxext memcpy3dn  mux_ts
>>

> The above tells you that VLC handles multi-media extensions (mmx - any
> Intel CPU after P1-200MMX, or AMD after Duron K6/2-350 with "3DNow.")
>

> When you rearrange the block, so, it tells LOTS!  It tells you
> everything VLC has, and everything it does...
>
> vlc-config --list plugin
>
> dummy
> logger
> memcpy
>
> mpgv
> mpga
> m4v
> m4a
> h264
> ps
> pva
> avi
> asf
> mp4
> rawdv
> nsv
> real
> aiff
> mjpeg
>
> demuxdump
> flac
> tta
> cvdsub
> svcdsub
> spudec
> telx
> subsdec
> dvbsub
> mpeg_audio
> lpcm
> a52
> dts
> cinepak
> flacdec
>
> deinterlace
> invert
> adjust
> transform
> distort
> motionblur
>
> rv32
> fixed32tos16
> s16tofixed32
> u8tofixed32
>
> trivial_resampler
> ugly_resampler
> trivial_channel_mixer
> trivial_mixer
>
> playlist
> export
> sgimb
> m3u
> nsc
> [...]
Those tell you what capabilities have been linked into VLC, but not
whether VLC's plugin has been linked into Firefox. "qlist" was a Gentoo
example. I meant to use whatever is appropriate for your distro ("rpm
-ql vlc" or "dpkg --listfiles vlc" or whateverfor your distro). You
could also just try looking in /usr/lib/nsbrowser/plugins - I think
that's the usual location, so there's a good chance that you'll be able
to confirm that the VLC firefox plugin is present.

Mike Nerone