[SATLUG] Software/Platform Recommendation...

Ernest De Leon edeleonjr at gmail.com
Thu Apr 10 12:40:50 CDT 2008

Let's say I wanted to plan a nation wide event on a certain day and create a
website for that purpose.  I would want everyone to be able to sign up (if
they wish), coordinate smaller groupings for this event at a local level,
upload images, documents, etc to share and possibly collaborate on things.
The main emphasis is to allow these people to somehow group themselves into
local groups hosting mini-events that make up the larger event.  It should
be easy for a new person to quickly find the mini-events in their area and
either add themselves to a group or at least be able to communicate with
others in that locality.  This event may go world wide, but that would just
be a matter of scale rather than functionality.  What software/platform
would you recommend.  I was originally thinking a wiki of some sort, perhaps
with forums as the grouping schema or maybe a google/yahoo group?  I don't
want it to be a social networking site per se, but if that platform works
best to allow these people to organize and coordinate, it would do.

Thanks,

--
Ernest de Leon
http://www.smbtechadvice.com