[SATLUG] Help with Sign-in

Arthur Hall art.hall at sbcglobal.net
Thu Apr 10 17:12:25 CDT 2008

John,
  Thanks for the quick and accurate response.  I've printed out "How to Enable Automatic Login on Linux" and will follow the appropriate steps the next time I boot up that machine.  I'll also keep the info on file in case I install another distro.  Thanks again.
  Art

John Pappas <j at jvpappas.net> wrote:
  The Display Manager (DM) will handle this. SInce you mentioned Ubuntu, it
is Gnome (GDM).

Google: gdm autologin. A reasonable result:
http://www.linfo.org/automatic_login.html.

Ubuntu may have a GUI or preferred place to handle these sorts of things
(Suse has a security module for Yast that sets this up in the DM) AFAIK KDM
and GDM use different methods (KDM's is in the control panel, I haven't used
GDM for a while so I don't know if it is in the gnome control center or not)