[SATLUG] new idea

herb cee hc at lookcee.com
Sun Apr 13 12:12:22 CDT 2008

Don Crowder wrote:
> Chris Lemire wrote:
>>
>> Would anyone be interested in me creating a phpBB3 web forum for
>> SATLUG? I do have a properly configured and working web forum here. I
>> could add a section entirely for SATLUG or create another.
>> http://chris1.redirectme.net/phpBB though if I were to get lots of
>> traffic, I would need more bandwidth than my Fiber Optics FIOS
>> connection out here in Bulverde. Right now I am running Fedora 8
>> x86_64 3 partitions in Raid 1, / /home and swap. I have a good reason
>> for putting swap in Raid 1. That's explained on tldp.org. Putting swap
>> in Raid 0 is a bad idea. Instead give swap partitions the same
>> priority. I have a LAMP setup including MySQL. If people like this
>> idea, and I get more traffic, then I believe it should be put on the
>> SATLUG server, and I could manage it again with a user account on the
>> server. Who is interested?
>
> I am but then I'm not a "for real" SATLUG member.  I'm an aging newbie
> out here in the sticks and there wouldn't be a great deal I could
> contribute to the forum though I'd try to participate.  There are some
> very astute minds on this list but I think it'd have more credibility
> if it were hosted on the SATLUG website.  Would it be worth the
> effort?  I can't say.  There are a lot of forums out there already and
> it seems to me that the generic forums aren't as popular.  For my own
> part, when I'm doing research on a given task I always begin with the
> Debian forums because I expect to find more specific answers there.
> If SATLUG had their own distro, which I'm thinking would best be
> called Serape Linux (or maybe Sombrero Linux but not Sombrero Rojo),
> then a forum would make more sense.
>
> Anyway, Chris, you just want to show off the cool forum you made and I
> don't blame you.  It's very cool but, unless you can figure out how to
> persuade somebody to participate it's about as useful as a five story
> parking garage in a cow pasture.  That's got to hurt your feelings, so
> I registered (I'm in your corner dood).  How come the only language
> choice was British English?
I am interested also Chris but ditto Don's disclaimer, even older
(please treat me gentle) ... really in the sticks Bedias (7mi) is the
closest tiny town, I have the Cow Pasture to build that parking garage
in. No neighbor within sight but one older couple does live 1/4mi away
on same county road #136.

I have to agree with Don that this may work - may not, I don't always
agree with him tho so you have at least 2 divergent but friendly
personalities registered. I think using a structure like you have will
be great for myself since I sometimes just cannot follow the geek
language nor how to use the fix given.  I know you campaigned for a
Satlug Forum but encountered an uninterested 'board'. Kudos to you for
putting your forum where your voice is. I sure hope it serves as useful.

I have a question to pose in the newbee section that I have tried to get
my own head wrapped around and I think can be answered to prepare a new
comer for that first crash. I know this needs some deep thought,
certainly can be done but not simply.

Anyway, good luck Chris, I will monitor the
http://chris1.redirectme.net/phpBB and I will pose the discussion
question shortly.
herb
..