[SATLUG] new idea

Chris Lemire good_bye300 at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 13 15:29:07 CDT 2008

> I am but then I'm not a "for real" SATLUG member.  I'm an aging newbie out here in the sticks and there wouldn't be a great deal I could
 contribute to the forum though I'd try to participate.

Your skills doesn't determine whether you are a member or not. I've got people constantly asking for my computer help. Now I just send them to my forum. You could ask questions too.

> There are some
very astute minds on this list but I think it'd have more credibility if
it were hosted on the SATLUG website.  Would it be worth the effort?

The forum isn't just for support. It could also be for discussion. Does it sound like a bad idea?

> There are a lot of forums out there already and it seems to
me that the generic forums aren't as popular.

That's why I believed making it specific for Satlug and a few other less important things would help.

>For my own part, when I'm
doing research on a given task I always begin with the Debian forums
because I expect to find more specific answers there.  If SATLUG had
their own distro, which I'm thinking would best be called Serape Linux
(or maybe Sombrero Linux but not Sombrero Rojo), then a forum would make
more sense.

I see.

>Anyway, Chris, you just want to show off the cool forum you made and I
don't blame you.  It's very cool but, unless you can figure out how to
persuade somebody to participate it's about as useful as a five story
parking garage in a cow pasture.

I'm working on that right now. By getting SATLUG involved and the people who constantly asking for my computer help. Sometimes I have 3 people doing it simultaneously.

> That's got to hurt your feelings, so I
registered (I'm in your corner dood).  How come the only language choice
was British English?

Thanks for registering. I hope you participate a little. I noticed that about British English. That was all that's available by default, but it didn't bother me enough to try to fix it.

I'll respond to the rest of the emails later. I must get ready for work.

Don Crowder
http://www.lockergnome.com/eldergeek/
http://www.freelists.org/list/donspatch
http://don-guitar.blogspot.com/