[SATLUG] new idea

Chris Lemire good_bye300 at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 15 04:29:58 CDT 2008

That was a mistake by me. What happened was I was creating forums in the categories. I thought the password was for reauthenticating myself as the administrator. When I found out, I went back and removed the passwords from all the forums, but I missed a couple. My forum might go offline a few times, but if it does, dont worry. It should be back up again within 24 hrs. Untill I can find and replace a non faulty psu on my encrypted logical volume debian server, I'm using 64-bit Fedora 8 in Raid 1 config with plenty of resources available, but I dual boot that for a few wintendo games. Sorry for the inconvience. This problem will be fixed early Tuesday.

Don Crowder <donguitar at gmail.com> wrote: herb cee wrote:
> Don Crowder wrote:
>> Chris Lemire wrote:
>>>
>>> Would anyone be interested in me creating a phpBB3 web forum for
>>> SATLUG? I do have a properly configured and working web forum here. I
>>> could add a section entirely for SATLUG or create another.
>>> http://chris1.redirectme.net/phpBB though if I were to get lots of
>>> traffic, I would need more bandwidth than my Fiber Optics FIOS
>>> connection out here in Bulverde. Right now I am running Fedora 8
>>> x86_64 3 partitions in Raid 1, / /home and swap. I have a good reason
>>> for putting swap in Raid 1. That's explained on tldp.org. Putting swap
>>> in Raid 0 is a bad idea. Instead give swap partitions the same
>>> priority. I have a LAMP setup including MySQL. If people like this
>>> idea, and I get more traffic, then I believe it should be put on the
>>> SATLUG server, and I could manage it again with a user account on the
>>> server. Who is interested?
>>
>> I am but then I'm not a "for real" SATLUG member.  I'm an aging newbie
>> out here in the sticks and there wouldn't be a great deal I could
>> contribute to the forum though I'd try to participate.  There are some
>> very astute minds on this list but I think it'd have more credibility
>> if it were hosted on the SATLUG website.  Would it be worth the
>> effort?  I can't say.  There are a lot of forums out there already and
>> it seems to me that the generic forums aren't as popular.  For my own
>> part, when I'm doing research on a given task I always begin with the
>> Debian forums because I expect to find more specific answers there.
>> If SATLUG had their own distro, which I'm thinking would best be
>> called Serape Linux (or maybe Sombrero Linux but not Sombrero Rojo),
>> then a forum would make more sense.
>>
>> Anyway, Chris, you just want to show off the cool forum you made and I
>> don't blame you.  It's very cool but, unless you can figure out how to
>> persuade somebody to participate it's about as useful as a five story
>> parking garage in a cow pasture.  That's got to hurt your feelings, so
>> I registered (I'm in your corner dood).  How come the only language
>> choice was British English?
> I am interested also Chris but ditto Don's disclaimer, even older
> (please treat me gentle) ... really in the sticks Bedias (7mi) is the
> closest tiny town, I have the Cow Pasture to build that parking garage
> in. No neighbor within sight but one older couple does live 1/4mi away
> on same county road #136.
>
> I have to agree with Don that this may work - may not, I don't always
> agree with him tho so you have at least 2 divergent but friendly
> personalities registered. I think using a structure like you have will
> be great for myself since I sometimes just cannot follow the geek
> language nor how to use the fix given.  I know you campaigned for a
> Satlug Forum but encountered an uninterested 'board'. Kudos to you for
> putting your forum where your voice is. I sure hope it serves as useful.

> [...]

I hope you can figure out how to post your newbie question Herb.  After
I logged in the system told me I couldn't view the Newbie section
without entering its password, showed a default password in the box but
insisted it was the wrong password when I clicked to login.  I had no
trouble getting into any other section.  What's up with that Chris?
--
Don