[SATLUG] Subversion ?

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Tue Apr 15 10:52:17 CDT 2008

pixelnate wrote:
> All,
>
> I am a using subversion for the first time on a web app I am building,
> and I had a question for anybody who might know the answer. If I somehow
> mess up a revision and break something, and check out an older revision,
> is there any way to start updating from that point instead and discard
> the revisions in between? Would I need to start a branch? If so how do I
> do that?

If you set up like the book describes, you have three main directories:

trunk/
tags/
branches/

Typically an entry in the tags/ directory is just a link to a specific revision
in trunk/.  An entry in branches typically has another set of subdirectories:

branches/george/
branches/irix/
branches/custom/

Development can occur on a branch and then can be merged back into the trunk or
might stay as a permanent branch with specific changes merged to and from the trunk.

You never 'delete' a revision.  You just change it back to what you need.
That's one of the purposes of a revision control system -- to track what has
been done -- right or wrong.

I'd also suggest you look at setting up Trac -- trac.edgewall.com.  From there
you can tie it into subversion and browse the source, including looking at the
change history of any file, differences between two revisions, etc.  It is very
useful.  It also has a built in wiki and a ticket tracking system, among other
things.

   -- Bruce