[SATLUG] Interesting phishing email

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Wed Apr 16 16:06:24 CDT 2008

I always view my email in text mode.  I received the following:

---------
After the last annual calculations of your fiscal activity we have determined that
you are eligible to receive a tax refund of *$620.50*.
Please submit the tax refund request and allow us 3-6 days in order to
process it.

A refund can be delayed for a variety of reasons.
For example submitting invalid records or applying after the deadline.

To access the form for your tax refund, please *click here
<http://first.terast.co.jp/mrtg/htdocs/images/redirect.html>*

*Note:* For security reasons, we will record your ip-address, the date and time.
Deliberate wrong inputs are criminally pursued and indicated.

Regards,
Internal Revenue Service

Now I ask you, would the IRS use a system on Japan?

I laughed when I saw this, but I thought I'd share.

Actually, this type of thing is extremely easy to detect.  If we could just get
some law enforcement to go after people who do this, the problem would be
reduced a lot.

   -- Bruce