[SATLUG] Interesting phishing email

Dennis Myhand dmyhand at suddenlink.net
Wed Apr 16 16:52:22 CDT 2008

Bruce Dubbs wrote:
> I always view my email in text mode.  I received the following:
>
> ---------
> After the last annual calculations of your fiscal activity we have
> determined that
> you are eligible to receive a tax refund of *$620.50*.
> Please submit the tax refund request and allow us 3-6 days in order to
> process it.
>
> A refund can be delayed for a variety of reasons.
> For example submitting invalid records or applying after the deadline.
>
> To access the form for your tax refund, please *click here
> <http://first.terast.co.jp/mrtg/htdocs/images/redirect.html>*
>

> *Note:* For security reasons, we will record your ip-address, the date
> and time.
> Deliberate wrong inputs are criminally pursued and indicated.
>

> Regards,
> Internal Revenue Service
> ----------------------
>
> Now I ask you, would the IRS use a system on Japan?
>
> I laughed when I saw this, but I thought I'd share.
>
> Actually, this type of thing is extremely easy to detect.  If we could
> just get some law enforcement to go after people who do this, the
> problem would be reduced a lot.
>
>   -- Bruce

This has been out and around for about a month.  I have received four so
far.  Two from Korea, one from India, and one from Pakistan.  I filled
out info on the two from Korea and the one from Pakistan.  I hope they
try to sell an "identity" with that SSN and the name I put with it.  I
think they will be found out fast if they do.