[SATLUG] Firefly 4 GB Flashdrive - unreadable

Robert Pearson e2eiod at gmail.com
Sat Apr 19 10:01:49 CDT 2008

On Fri, Apr 18, 2008 at 6:06 PM, herb cee <hc at lookcee.com> wrote:
> John Chalinder wrote:
> > I have a Lexar Firefly 4GB flash drive that, while 'properties' tells me
> it's ok, and my laptop recognises what sort of a drive it is, it will not
> respond to any action.
> >  I've tried formatting, I've tried ejecting, I've tried checking for
> errors. Nada, zip, zero response. Can't even change its name.
> >
> > Any idea what could be wrong with this device, and how/if it can be fixed?
> It cost me around $60 and it's been too long to take it back to the store
> and refund/exchange it.
> >
> > Maybe it doesn't like Ubuntu Linux formatting...? Maybe it doesn't like to
> be reformatted at all.
> >

>  John I reported a 1G SanDisk same it refuses to allow changes format ...
> nada. I can't find the paper work on the card so guess I could make an
> ear-ring or do a clever sculpture and trade it for a new one or say hell
> with it and buy a diff 1G card. ....sigh maybe never know what went wrong
> inside that tiny box or was it just virtual all along???
>  herb
>  --

I have an LG 1GB that has its own "mini" OS on it. I can't reformat
it. Cost $52 at Sams several years ago.
My 1GB "MicroCenter Special" allows me to do anything I want with it.
Cost me $12 a couple of years ago.
The "fdisk" command on the LG 1GB reports that the physical device and
the partition don't have the same ending which means there is
something on there from the manufacturer I can't remove.
I read another email post somewhere about a flash drive that had an
ISO image on it.
That ISO image controlled what you could do with the rest of the flash drive.
The ISO image is apparently on a ROM inside the Flash so it is write
protected and can't be deleted.
The point is that some of these "secure" and/or encrypted flash drives
have this feature in order to make that function work.
I no longer buy these "upscale" flash drives unless I have to have
them. I buy the cheapest price, highest capacity available.
Just my opinion as a user. I am not an engineer.