[SATLUG] OT - FBI worried Counterfeit Cisco gear may have backdoor for Chinese government

Howard Haradon hharadon at gmail.com
Thu Apr 24 08:02:39 CDT 2008

> Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2008 09:08:53 -0700
> From: "Ernest De Leon" <edeleonjr at gmail.com>
> Subject: [SATLUG] FBI worried Counterfeit Cisco gear may have backdoor
>        for     Chinese government
> To: "The San Antonio Linux User's Group Mailing List"
>        <satlug at satlug.org>
>
> http://www.smbtechadvice.com/2008/04/fbi-worried-counterfeit-chinese-cisco.html
>
> --
> Ernest de Leon
> http://www.smbtechadvice.com

I'm not worried since the Cisco sales people watch these bids
like a hawk (or maybe two hawks).  They are commissioned on
what goes into these big institutions, and with only 2-3 Cisco
authorized distributors in the country, its easy for them to
track each unit that is delivered.  I was involved in a few Cisco
deals here in SA, and when our distributor substituted some
third-party fiber interfaces on one big order, the sales folks
raised an immediate fuss with the customer.  This was before
the parts were even taken off the truck!  They get electronic lists
from the distributors to monitor what's sold.

Howard
--
Howard Haradon
San Antonio, TX USA