[SATLUG] Remote Desktop for Linux

Luis Garza luis at luisgarza.com
Thu Apr 24 18:24:44 CDT 2008

VNC viewers are a good program but you need to be aware that some can be
exploited.

UltraVNC 1.0.1 Client Buffer Overflow
http://www.securityfocus.com/bid/17378

Programs such as Metasploit can take advantage of this exploit to crash the
server.
UltraVNC seems to have corrected the problem with version 1.0.2 but I have
heard that other (older versions) vnc servers have exploits too.  Check the
bug list and the Metasploit exploit database.

If you have a vnc server running, I would not advertised it.

Sincerely,

Luis Garza
http://luisgarza.com
luis at luisgarza.com