[SATLUG] 10 Linux Commands You Probably Don't Use

Luis Garza luis at luisgarza.com
Thu Apr 24 23:14:21 CDT 2008

The set, while, read and [ ] are shell built-ins.

The 'set' can be used to set variables.  The '-x' puts the shell in a debug
mode; it shows the command that is being executed after all the variables
and other stuff on the command line have been evaluated.

The 'while' is signifies a while loop.
while true_false_command
do
  commands
done

Usually the true_false_command is a test, [ ].  So the brackets, [ ] signify
a test statement.

The read can read in a line and be used to set variables.

who am I | read me my_terminal my_date my_login_time my_ip

The variables will be set to each word from the 'who am I' command.

The 'line' command is used to get the first line of the output.
The 'line' command is found in sh shell but I don't think that it made it
into bash shell.

If you really want to learn more, may I suggest getting the book UNIX in a
nutshell.  It lists the commands, their options and examples.

Check out 'expr' !!!

Sincerely,

Luis Garza
http://luisgarza.com