[SATLUG] 10 Linux Commands You Probably Don't Use

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Thu Apr 24 23:16:53 CDT 2008

ed wrote:
> Luis Garza wrote:
>> Yes,  I use them too with :
>> cd -
>> mkdir -p
>> vi - shift ZZ
>> !! and !s are shell built-ins
>>
> ==================
>> So how about these:
>>
>> set -x
>> set  - - -
>> line
>> while read
>> [ ]
>>

> Ok...  Since I'm still learning the command line, can you please
> define/interpret these commands?  Thanx!

You can look up cd and mkdir in the man pages (`man <some name>`).  To look for
something where you are not sure, use `apropos <something>`.

vi is a very powerful text editor, there are whole books written on it.  ZZ (not
zz) is the same as :wq or :x as they save the file and exit.

for !! and !s, try `man history`

The others are for shells (usually bash) (also  look at `man line`), usually in
scripts.  Again, there are whole books on writing shell scripts.  The man page
for bash is reasonably complete, but cryptic for new users and very long.

   -- Bruce