[SATLUG] 10 Linux Commands You Probably Don't Use

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Thu Apr 24 23:50:31 CDT 2008

ed wrote:

> I'm curious though, how to login to Ubuntu as /
> with gui access.  Any help there?  (Sometimes, man is very helpful.
> Other times, its either a slog, or woefully inadequate to th task I'm
> pursuing...)  I need to make some symbolic links disappear which show up
> in the gui, but not, apparently, in the cli...

It is really considered bad form to log on to a Unix/Linux system as root.  Just
open a command window and type `su -`.  It will ask the root password and then
you can do anything as root from there.

You need to be a bit more clear about what you are trying to do. "make some
symbolic links disappear which show up in the gui" doesn't really make sense.

That's OK though, you are learning.

   -- Bruce