[SATLUG] 10 Linux Commands You Probably Don't Use

Brad Knowles brad at shub-internet.org
Thu Apr 24 23:57:50 CDT 2008

On 4/24/08, ed wrote:

>  I found this while Stumbling, and thought to share it.  Anyone have any
>  other 'forgotten' commands?
>  http://www.foogazi.com/2008/03/18/linux-commands-you-probably-dont-use/

	1.  pgrep
	2.  !!
	3.  !vi
	4.  watch
	5.  ZZ in vi
	6.  ^D = logout
	7.  cd -
	8.  mkdir -p
	9.  ^U = delete line
	10. touch

I don't use #1 very much, because it's a Linux-ism and I'm old-school
enough that I didn't learn this one twenty years ago when I was
learning how to do this sort of stuff.  So while I've heard of it
before, I just don't use it -- sorry, ps -efl or ps auxww | grep ...
is just wired into my fingers, and there's not much that's likely to
change that.

I use #2 and #3 frequently.

#4 was new to me a few months ago, but I have used it a few times
since.  This is actually one of the more useful new-to-me things I've
recently encountered.

I've been doing #5 for more than twenty years.

I always disable ^D as logout in my terminal sessions (because I
don't want to be logged out accidentally), so I've never
intentionally used this shortcut.

#7 is one I had not heard of before.

I do #8 pretty frequently when I'm copying stuff around or setting up
directory hierarchies.

I had heard of #9 before, but I don't use it.  I do use ^W pretty
frequently, at least unless the terminal settings are screwed up and
^W doesn't work.

I use #10 rarely, but I have done it enough over the past twenty-plus
years that I consider myself familiar with it.