[SATLUG] Java problem on Ubuntu 8.04 beta

Ryan Stewart rds6235 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 25 07:22:04 CDT 2008

On Thu, Apr 24, 2008 at 10:00 AM, Jeremy Mann <jeremymann at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 24, 2008 at 7:41 AM, Ryan Stewart <rds6235 at gmail.com> wrote:
> >  "error while loading shared libraries: libjli.so: cannot open shared
> object
> >  file: No such file or directory"
> >
> >  I've done exactly the same thing with the same ubuntu version installed
> in a
> >  VMware VM, and it works fine.
> >
> >  The file libjli.so exists in /opt/jre1.6.0_05/lib/i386/jli. I found
> that if
> >  I copy this file to /usr/lib, it no longer complains about it, but
> instead
> >  says it can't find libjava.so, which exists in
> /opt/jre1.6.0_05/lib/i386.
> >  Copying that file to /usr/lib doesn't help.
> Is this a tarball you downloaded directly from Sun? Since you are
> using Ubuntu, I'd use their package of Java. But if not, sounds like
> you need to add the lib path so ld can find the libraries.
> It's a self-extracting .bin file downloaded from Sun. The computer I'm
installing it to has only an extremely slow dialup connection, and it isn't
even working right now because I'm trying to sort through how to get a
dialup modem working in Ubuntu (an apparently enormous can of worms for a
beginner). I was wondering about setting some sort of lib path, but as I
mentioned in my first post, installing Java the same way on the same Ubuntu
version installed on a VM works just fine. In addition, I installed Ubuntu
to the HD of the computer that was giving me the problem, installed Java
exactly the same way, and it works fine. It must have something to do with
trying to install Java when running Ubuntu as a LiveCD.

Anyway, the problem is no longer a problem, but I'm still curious why it